[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Answer to your Health Question


What antibiotic would you recommend to treat cystitis in a person 74 years old with hypertension or high blood pressure?



Dear Nadia,

Usually symptoms clear up within a few days of treatment. However, you'll likely need to take antibiotics for three days to a week, depending on the severity of your infection.

Hospital-acquired bladder infections can be a challenge to treat because bacteria found in hospitals are often resistant to the common types of antibiotics used to treat community-acquired bladder infections. For that reason, different types of antibiotics and different treatment approaches may be needed.

You can buy potassium citrate or sodium citrate powder, to make into drinks, at a pharmacy.

They make your urine less acidic, which can reduce the burning feeling when you pass urine. But they won't kill the bacteria causing your infection.

Your doctor may prescribe a three-day course of antibiotic tablets to treat your cystitis.

You'll probably take trimethoprim (brand name Monotrim), nitrofurantoin (Furadantin), cefalexin (Ceporex, Ceporex-Keflex, Panixine, Biocef, Zartan) or amoxicillin.

You could take a low dose of antibiotics for six months to 12 months. There's good research to show that this can cut the number of infections you get while you're taking the antibiotics.

Trimethoprim is most commonly used to treat urinary tract infections but your blood pressure may goes up .

Drinking cranberry juice or taking capsules of concentrated cranberry extract may help to prevent cystitis.

Do you have any other questions? Enter your health question

[an error occurred while processing this directive]