Answer to your Health Question

Question: I have a clot type lump on the left side of the chest, under the nipple. A long time ago, a friend of mine pinched my left nipple hard and twisted it mecheviously. Now I am 18 and a few months back the lump used to swell and hurt when touched. Nowadays it only swells when I exercise or go to gym. The doctor told me there is nothing to worry about and gave some medicine. I went to the doctor again when it swelled hard and told me to do a mammography test. She told me it's not necessary but it will be better to do it. No discharge is observed from my nipple. I haven't done the mammography test yet. What is the exact cause and what should I do? Is it serious? Now the clot has become softer. Harshit

Answer: Dear Harshit,

A lump on the chest can be a symptom of several conditions such as:

- Breast cancer
- Sebaceous cyst
- Skin cancer
- Rib fracture

In order to get a correct diagnosis, different tests may need to be performed. In order to rule out cancer, a biopsy may be necessary, where the doctor removes the lump and analyzes it for cancerous cells.

A sebaceous cyst usually occurs due to swollen hair follicles. These type of cysts can usually be ignored but if they become inflamed and tender you can have them surgically removed.

Need more information? Ask a Question

Disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is for educational purposes only and is not meant to replace medical advice, diagnose or treat any disease.
Your use of this site indicates your agreement to be bound.